III+ problem

On 22-4-97, A. Leslie Robb expressed frustration at various error messages that
arise when running III+ in a DOS box under Windows.

I gave up III+ three years ago for Xy4 -- now using both DOS and Windows
versions -- and I've never looked back. But I'm pretty sure that my experience
would have been the same with III+ as it's been with 4. XyWin seems to
cooperate better with my printer(s) and fax software; Xy4 for DOS seems faster
and I infinitely prefer the display possibilities. I definitely find, like Lee
Hickling, that it's better to bail out of Windows and run Xy4 under pure DOS.

But to the point of A.L.R.'s query: the error messages you've been getting *may*
have to do with memory problems. I had all sorts of trouble working with big
files, which were nearly all cured by adding a memory manager called (in 1994)
386MAX from Qualitas. It's strictly load-and-forget: I'm briefly aware of its
presence when booting up, and thereafter it's invisible. But I now have no
trouble manipulating pretty big files -- a couple of files of over a meg each in
different windows -- on my 66 mHz 486 no-name clone with 16 meg RAM (in Summer
1994 that seemed like buying a Maserati!).

						Eric Van Tassel