Re: III+ problem

Les,
   I looked up File Control Blocks in my DOS for Nincompoops book, and it
said not to mess with FCB definition unless you are on a network.
   It didn't say what to do if you are.
   You are now over my head, and I have no more misguided advice to offer.
   I do think, though, that we may have put our finger on the problem.
What you need at this point may be a real DOS guru.
   What I do when I'm at the point you are is to avoid the advice of
friends, to pay no attention to anything strangers on the Web have to offer,
and especially steer clear of plausible young sales persons at the
Megadiscount Supercomputer chain store. I look for a messy little computer
repair shop on a side street, preferably one where they build computers in
the back room and I've bought enough bits and pieces so they know me, and
ask the man who owns it what to do.
     Lee Hickling