XP/Vbox/Win 8.1

All is not well. My scenario is XP/Virtual Box/Win 8.1. Here's the
darndest thing. I created the entire c: drive of the host as a Vbox
share, and it was instantly recognized, etc. etc. (unlike on Win2K).
I have mapped it to G: (I do the same thing on Win 7-64 using VirtualXP.)

XyWrite will not display the contents of any folder in G:
However, executing the DOS command allows me to run a directory, and going back to XyWrite, I can switch to any directory on G: and call up any file whose name I happen to know. I just can't get XyWrite to display a directory. Is there a known reason for this?