Re: xysearch

** Reply to message from "Robert Holmgren"  on Mon, 29 Dec
2003 19:09:09 -0500

> to answer your original question, No! There is no program
> that I know of that will auto-capture into a single file all
> 1,308 messages (or even just the headers) from Carl at his
> more recent (last few years) Email address, which starts out
> "cld@xxxxxxxx".

Actually, on further reflection I take it all back.
Certainly there are trolling programs that will
plough through the directories on a remote server looking
for particular $trings, and that could probably dump "hits"
into a file. Indeed, in v116 of U2 (not yet released) we
incorporate the cURL engine into the system for all HTTP/FTP
operations, and it would be a pie-simple matter to
construct, using XPL only, a program that did just that:
downloaded all msgs sequentially, and searched each one for
particular $trings. Whether I want you trolling through
22,000+ messages on my server is a separate matter -- it
would take a fairly long time, and absorb a lot of bandwidth
-- all for one query. A silly way to go about it with a
database this size, but eminently feasible.

But XySearch is designed to do this sort of thing, and to do
it quickly. Still your best option by far.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx