Re: xysearch

** Reply to message from "Morris Krok"  on Mon, 29 Dec
2003 13:32:39 +0200

Well, to answer your original question, No! There is no program that I know of
that will auto-capture into a single file all 1,308 messages (or even just the
headers) from Carl at his more recent (last few years) Email address, which
starts out "cld@xxxxxxxx". Why you'd want to capture them all, or -- god forbid! --
read them, is mysterious to me. He's such a blabbermouth -- the starkest
possible contrast to my own self. Why not narrow your query down to the
subjects that interest you? Then you get a more manageable set of responses.
For example, you could query
 +from:cld and ( XPL or program )
then you only get 455 responses. Suppose you want to see sample code:
 +from:cld XPLeNCODE
that yields a mere 104 responses (of which many are probably now integrated
into U2 or just revisions of revisions). You get the idea. Read "How to
Search" on the XySearch homepage.

> All this has to be done manually because the information is drawn from an
> online website and it will be too tedious to save every reference into a file
> designated to Carl.

I am somewhat familiar with that website; I devised (and maintain) it, wrote
all the scripts and some of the software.

> Now that I think of my initial query again, the solution may be to save
> Xysearch fully expanded on CD disks if it is too large to fit on a file that
> XyWrite can call on the screen from which a special program can call up all
> instances of Carl and the replies into a separate file.

I'd be delighted to set that up for you, and to write the special program. I
charge $300/hour (U.S.) for computer consultation. It will take a day or two.
Interested? If not, you sometimes need to wait for what is offered for free,
here. It may -- or may not -- ever appear. I do eventually intend to put
XySearch on CD so that it could be run locally on any computer, but it will
simply be a copy of the Internet website -- same engine, same everything. The
difference would be that, yes, you could write a program that would search
through the raw message files and extract them into a single file.

But XySearch is designed to be viewed in a web browser, not in a XyWrite
screen. All the files are HTML, in ANSI (CodePage 1252).

> But I do not understand when you say there are no squares with numbers in them.
> Funny, I have always been told that my writing is clear to the point without
> spills and frills.

Well, Morris, if you had said "To my query on 'Carl' I got 1,308 hits on
fourteen pages with 100 hits per page", I would have known what you were trying
to do.

> I must thank you for the capitalization program. Your explanation has given me
> a greater understanding of programming in XY4 and how we can use existing
> programs in U2.

Xy4 is a huge leap forward compared to Xy3 in programming ease and power. Many
frames in U2 are designed as "child processes", i.e. they are called by a
"parent" frame to perform a narrow task and hand information back to the parent
for further processing. If U2 is LOADed, you can call any U2 frame from any
other program, both in or out of U2. Thus, RUN-style programs can use U2
frames too.

> JM 2.(I imagine means jump to menu in the U2 file).

Correct. Func JM literally means Jump to Menu, but in plain English it means
"run the routine with the indicated framename". The "2." refers to U2; there
may be as many as four "U#" files in Xy4, and nine in XyWin and NBWin, named U1
U2 U3 U4 [U5 U6 U7 U8 U9], but I think only U1 exists (by default, from the
factory) in XyWin and NBWin, and none of the U# files exist in Xy4 (IIRC).

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx