Re: Showing value of a s/g

Robert wrote:
Command:
 DMFONT
and increase the font size ("DMFONT"=DraftModeFONT).
Ahhh, that helps a lot. Most of the fonts come out with overlapping
characters in Draft mode, but Courier and Lucida Console (which latter I'm
using) work nicely. And at 16pt, I can now distinguish the left and right
guillemets.
However, the status line, and the part where NB puts the filespec are in
tiny, tiny Times Roman, and no amount of searching the docs has shown me
where that font can be set, if anywhere. Also, I'd like to get away from
that gray for the command line, but that seems to be a Windows-wide setting
(under Appearance in the Display properties).
And while I'm customizing, I'd like to be able to change the width of the
area of the toolbars on which the filespec and command line are displayed.
The filespec area on mine is only about an inch wide, so longer paths get
truncated. E.g., for NBWIN\USERS\DEFAULT I see only c: ...\default
I see there's a lot of apparently customizable stuff in NB.INI, but a
little cautious playing around didn't produce any visible changes in
appearance.
> In this connection, I tried to paste
> into NB a RHA from a Xy document, and it didn't work--produced only
> one-byte guillemets.

Paste _how_? Using the CLIP frame from XyWrite?

Yep.
You've forgotten that NBWin uses a bastardized ANSI, which retains the
guillemets on 174 and 175, instead of moving them to ANSI 171
and 187 where they ordinarily belong (which would REALLY screw
up XPL). Now, CLIP.EXE doesn't know nada about bastardized
forms of anything. It converts between genuine CodePages, and
its default is to convert from 850 to 1252 (Windows ANSI) when
moving from XyWrite to the "outer world". So what you have to
do is change the resulting ANSI guillemets 171 and 187 (which
are what you're seeing) back to 174 and 175. Then RHA will work.
Yes, I figured out to do that (though I didn't know the internal mechanics,
per above).
I wonder if any of this explains why the following 2 U2 routines produce
"Application error ..." in NB:
Oh yeah, that's another thing! you can't copy and paste "formatting
characters" from NB! So, typing in pseudo-code, the three routines
(contiguous by the way) we have:

{{5&2}} Enter left guillemet (formerly leftcom4.pgm)
*XP >XP *

{{5&3}} Enter right guillemet (formerly rtcom4.pgm)
*XP >XP *
(Don't know which I have BC-XC instead of BX-Q2, but there it is. The extra XP sometimes seemed to be necessary, in practice.)

Almost needless to say: these three work fine in Xy.
CHARUPXY.TBL is attached (in a ZIPfile).

Thanks. I've installed it.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx