XPL STUFF

 -> Carl Distefano:

XY-> A. To use search wildcards with BX (or BN -- the same thing, with a native-
 -> to-English translation capability) you have to insert the wildcard
 -> character itself (not function calls like WA or WN, etc.) in the SEarch or

XY-> By coincidence, the next release of SmartSet will have a routine called

Carl,
That's something to look forward to! I've also stuck NN into
several places in my keyboard file because I'm always forgetting
where I put things. Works on the command line too, apparently.

XY-> B. There are numerous bugs associated with Error Suppression (ES 1) in
 -> XyIII+. The XS bug is one; another is that CH or CI doesn't work properly.
 -> There are others, but since I hardly ever do XPL (or anything else) in
 -> III+ any more, they don't spring to mind. In general, leave Error
 -> Suppression off (ES 0) in III+, and set Error Beep to 0,0 to muffle the
 -> racket.

Quite frankly, Carl, I find that hard to believe. I have used it
too regularly to believe that the problem with ES is persuasive
in 3+. Perhaps in new items, such as XS, but not throughout.

XY-> C. Unfortunately, your UUENCODED file attachment didn't survive the trip
 -> to CompuServe.

Bummer. Do you visit any other BBSs where it could be uploaded if
you're interested? I first switched to BXs; then I realized once
I added the wild sentence separator I could bypass terminal
punctuation in abbreviations by having a proper sentence-ending
definition (wild: .SWAS) and cut out several lines from the
program. The BXs reduced work time by nearly half; the cuts
reduced the time by nearly half again.

One could even say that the program is beginning to approach a
finished state.

--Chet

---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? Art + write + dtp = chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx