XPL stuff

1. Myron:

My experience is that CHange and Change Invisible commands in XPL
running under XyWin are exTREMEly erratic and unreliable.
(Issued manually from the command line, they seem to work OK.)
None of my routines that rely heavily on these commands (e.g.,
QUOTES and HANGMAN in SmartSet) work under
XyWin. I've tried mightily to isolate the conditions that cause
this erratic behavior -- symptomatic, no doubt, of a flaw buried
deep in XyWin's executable code -- alas, without success.

2. Chet:

A. To use search wildcards with BX (or BN -- the same thing, with
a native- to-English translation capability) you have to insert
the wildcard character itself (not function calls like WA or WN,
etc.) in the SEarch or
CHange statement. Xy4|XyWin has 21 wildcard characters in all.
You can produce any of them at the cursor location by executing
func NN and pressing any of the following characters:

{Ascii-25}{Ascii-27}-.0123456789ALNOSWX

By coincidence, the next release of SmartSet will have a routine called
WILDCARD which makes it easy to produce any of these characters.
The barebones way to do it is simply to assign func NN to a key.

B. There are numerous bugs associated with Error Suppression (ES 1) in
XyIII+. The XS bug is one; another is that CH or CI doesn't work
properly.
 There are others, but since I hardly ever do XPL (or anything else) in
III+ any more, they don't spring to mind. In general, leave Error
Suppression off (ES 0) in III+, and set Error Beep to 0,0 to
muffle the racket.

C. Unfortunately, your UUENCODED file attachment didn't survive
the trip to CompuServe.

Carl Distefano
70154.3452@xxxxxxxx