keyboard glitch, late of ill repute, still there

Carl Distefano recently wrote

> What's the point of airing these glitches publicly, if the
< resolution stays buried somewhere in your keyboard file?

My recent keyboard problem still exists. I examined the modified file I had been using for a couple of years since my last modification, and which recently presented the problem.

I compared each troublemaking key assignment with the original kbd file from when I upgraded to XY(dos)4, as Robert Holmgren suggested. There were no discrepancies.

I put it under another suffix and laid it away, and  put the original (out of the box) XY4-3.kbd in play, as Leslie Bialler suggested. It did and does function satisfactorily, and enabled me to meet a deadline. It is still working; the  modified file continues to malfunction.

The once and present problem is this:

All alph and numeric and punctuation keys *except 21, 22, 23, 32, 46, 51, 52, 53, and 57* misfire as follows:

When I write a word followed by key 40, (a single or double quote), and append key 31 (an s) or any other character, with exceptions noted above, the >'< or >"< is repeated as soon as I strike the next key.

E.g.: I write >hell's bells< and get >hell''s bells<. The same thing happens on upper case, and when I test all other characters, . The single or double quote followed by y,i,o,d,c, semi, period, comma, slash, or space renders properly.

In the misbehaving files, every table assigns a single or double quote to key 40.

I hoped it might be a problem of the keyboard itself, but it only occurs in Xywrite, not Word or Wordpad.

As before, I would be grateful for any suggestions, and I will report results of applying them.

Bruce Felknor