Re: Art Campbell's book on xyW4 xpl

≪ ... Art Campbell's xyW4 xpl macros book
 (which slips now and then and calls xyW4 Signature) ... ≫ --adpF

≪ It's news to me (though, to be sure, most things in life are news to
 me) that there ever was anything in print about Xy4 XPL. I'd be grateful to
 know more.

 (Is adpF's reference to "xyW4" a portmanteau allusion to Xy4 for DOS *and*
 XyWin?) ≫ --Eric Van Tassel

adpF differentiates between xyW3 and xyW4 unless there's
a reason to specify xyDos 4 or xyWin.

The Campbell book appears to have been written for
Signature and hastily edited and renamed when the second
release of Sig was rerenamed xyWrite 4. xyWin hadn't
been released, but xyDos 4 and xyWin xpl is purportedly
the same. adpF's impression is that the behavior of
xyDos 4 pgms in xyWin, however, is almost as unpredictable
as the behavior of xyW3 pgms in xyDos 4. Where The Herb's
programs are incidental to the in-depth insights into
late-release xyW3 he presents, adpF believes that Campbell
offers little beyond run-of-the-mill macros. (Campbell,
who also wrote a useful general-purpose xyW 3.54 manual,
subscribed to the xylist for a while but vanished after
of course being subjected to unprovoked flames.) adpF
has seen enough copies of his Sig/xyW4 book remaindered
in the not-too-distant past to guess that a determined
search could turn up a copy:

	Art Campbell & Bonnie Allen: "XyWrite 4 Macros"
	(Windcrest [imprint of TAB Books]/McGraw-Hill, 1993;
	ISBN 0-8306-4047-9)

And for the record:

	Arthur R. G. Campbell: "Expert Advisor/XyWrite III Plus"
	(Addison-Wesley, 1989; ISBN-0-201-51721-3)