Re: XYwrite on other platforms

" 04/16/98 -0700, Daniel Say wrote:
" >    Does anyone use XYWin exclusively?
"
" I do. For straight-ahead reporting, it has all the advantages of the old
" XyDos versions and more flexibility than the other word processors I've
" been forced to use. I'm not interested enough in programming or specialized
" applications to spend a lot of time trying to tweak it. It's been
" reasonably stable, except when I overload Win95 with too many open
" programs. I still use the command line for most functions, although the CUI
" menus aren't too bad.
	Then it seems like Xy4DOS, graphic fonts with command line
	and pulldown menues.

	Is SmartWord all such menues? Being CUA compliant, we
	are probably cut off from the redefining every key
	idea.

	There are some people, (Hello ADPF), who redefine the
	keyboard by geography and would hate the straight-jacket
	of CUA function keys. But then not everyone uses the wide
	keyboards of the Standard Poodle, and I have to adapt to
	the 88 keys of some Toy Poodles such as laptops, but the
	key pattern-combinations are the same.

	Rothstein's book on XY mentioned redefining the keyboard
	to act like the Wordstar of those days. Myself, I redefined
	the keyboard to keep the Chiwriter keys the same, along
	with my keyboard of PC-Write 2.6 ('the last good one')

	And with my recent flurry of visiting the second hand
	computer shops, swap meets and such, have enough Fujitsu
	5100 and Gateway 2000 keyboards to last for several years
	of 'geographical familiarity'. Spilling LoongJiang tea
	onto the keyboards and my lap has less fear these days.

" I am getting desparate, however, for new conversion
" filters, since Adobe sold Word for Word and there's no new version on the
" market.
" Richard A. Sherer
"
	Conversion to and from what? Often, Xywriters use
	external BATch or XPL programs to call other conversion
	programs.

	And besides, should all options only be determined by
	its appearance on paper?

	Speaking of appearances, in my search for Postscript ideas
	I came across a book that uses XYwrite and Postscript to
	make graphs. The author was the graphic designer for
	PC Magazine and much of the book is concerned with
	automatic graphs (line graphs, isometric 3d bar graphs, etc)
	for presentation in colours.  It is, of course, out of
	print, but a visit to a copyshop after an interlibrary
	loan gave me much of the core of the book:

AUTHOR    Kunkel, Gerard.
TITLE    Graphic design with PostScript / Gerard Kunkel.
IMPRINT   Glenview, Ill. : Scott, Foresman, c1990.
DESCRIPT.  427 p. : ill.
SUBJECT   Desktop publishing.
       PostScript (Computer program language)
       Layout (Printing) -- Data processing.