Re: New vDosxy and underlining

Reply to note from James Woolley  Sun, 26 Apr
2015 04:41:58 -0400

> That setting [WP = 6] crashes the new vDosXY, at least in my (NB3)
> experience. Any possibility of getting underlining back?

Are you running a desktop or a laptop? WP = 6 works fine on my two HP
desktop machines. However, the other day I installed for someone on
two Dell laptops (running Win 8), and WP = 6 crashed vDosXy. I think
this is an issue for Peter a/k/a catastrophicanomaly.

> More generally, I'm curious about what problems the new version
> was meant to solve, or what new functionality it is supposed to
> offer.

As I understand it, three things. 1) More memory for Xy/NB (an
additional 64 KB). 2) Less Windows memory usage: the old version
grabbed 64 MB of extended memory, the new one by default uses only
4 MB. (My old vDosXy-Xy4 setup consumed 70 MB of Windows memory per
session; now I'm using only 3-5 MB per session.) 3) The ability to
run other DOS programs that don't use Xy/NB's special keyboard
handling -- in other words (in theory), a complete substitute for the
original vDos.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx