Re: WinXP

Bill Troop  wrote:

> Me too. I just ordered a new Dell laptop -- they're almost
> being given away on the website -- and it comes with
> XP. I hope I don't have any problems with XyWrite!
> I'm a little concerned in that I ordered the 1600x1200
> screen. Will I able to get the DOS box type large
> enough?

I don't have any advice at this point, other than the guess that running
a DOS program under Windows XP is likely to be similar to running a DOS
program under Windows 2000. It certainly _can_ be done, and some people
seem to encounter no major problems, whereas others seem to run into a
wall of some kind. The hype that has accompanied every release of
Windows since 95, namely that this is the end of the line for DOS, is no
more true for XP than it was for earlier versions. Granted, Windows NT,
2k, and XP no longer run on top of a DOS kernel, but they still provide
DOS emulation (and in that sense are not all that different from OS/2
and wossisname, ecomstation, I believe).

Anyhow, I would be very interested in hearing what the DOS box on that
Dell 1600x1200 TFT screen (on which I've had my eyes as well) looks like,
and whether there is a way to get it to fill the whole screen when
running in full-screen (i.e. not windowed) mode. So once you get your
laptop and try it out with XyWrite, I for one would appreciate hearing
about your experiences.

Wolfgang Bechstein
bechstein@xxxxxxxx