Fwd: Re: Expanded memory

Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 08:34:45 EST
From: Robert Holmgren
Subject: Re: Expanded memory

** Reply to note from Judith Davidsen Sat, 24 Jun 2000 21:10:32 -0400

> I think when an issue like expanded memory is important to the running
> of Xywrite it really is not off-topic.

I think when the issue is how much expanded memory XyWrite needs, it is on
target. How to write the command line that launches XyWrite to establish
the amount of EMS dedicated to it -- on-topic. But there are many
"important" prerequisites that must be satisfied before you can get
XyWrite running: AC power, cables, monitors, operating systems, all sorts
of things. How to install EMS in Win98 just isn't "on-topic"! There are
HUNDREDS of user groups devoted to Windows, there's DejaNews
(www.dejanews.com) for finding the answer to problems that other users
have previously experienced (this is certainly one of them) -- once you
_know_ the nature of your problem, why not consult them? Why drag XyWrite
into it? Fire up a mail client, load in your ISP's list of UseNet groups,
search for "Windows", and subscribe to a group concerned with "setup",
e.g. comp.os.ms-windows.setup.win95 or microsoft.public.win98.setup. Ask
there. Without deprecating the help you obtained here, the truth is that
you'll get _much better_, more comprehensive, faster support just using a
browser search engine. I think we should be a lot more rigorous about
subject matter. The vagaries of Dell tech support are not of XyWrite
interest, nor really (to me) of any interest whatsoever; so to say that
"when a manufacturer's tech support doesn't know its own product, the list
is the only hope", is grotesquely wrongheaded. Given the options,
including access to deeply-immersed advisors dedicated to your
environment, this list is the LAST place I would pose technical questions,
especially *machine-specific* questions! I mean, somebody else wanted to
know how to UNZIP a ZIPfile. I just passed the query "windows unzip" to
dogpile (www.dogpile.com), and got *dozens* of comprehensive answers to

Paul,
According to the instruction in XyWin help, you also have to put your mail
application in the PATH statement in your AUTOEXEC.BAT. Since Windows
programs normally don't use the PATH statement, that may be your problem.
Richard A. Sherer