XySearch is down temporarily

** Reply to message from Fred Weiner  on Sun,
5 Jul 2009 11:51:36 -0700

> Robert! You're there! Alive and (I hope) well! How's the
> work on getting XySearch functional coming? FW.

Thanks for prodding me, Fred -- I needed that. I've taken
XySearch down this morning (temporarily not accessible), and am
presently remaking the indexes, which were broken about a year
ago when a drive ran out of space, and Perl went berserk and
started erasing files to create free space (as I programmed it
to do -- truly shrewd, aye?).

I was loathe to remake those indices because my server is
heavily used for other purposes (it hosts a number of public
websites, including one Google Group machine translation
facility) and the process of remaking the indices absorbs every
ounce of CPU power that the computer has. However, I'm biting
the bullet at long last, and the indexing operation will take
36-72 hours, after which (fingers crossed) XySearch should be
back in business.

More anon...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx