Re: XYWin on Win 98

Patricia M Godfrey wrote:

> Jordan: Where, oh where do you find keyboards (AT ones at least) with the
> F keys on the left where they belong? I saw a Northgate at a show and
> sale once, but no docs or drivers. Likewise the Gateway with the double
> set of F Keys. Even if I could find one, would it work with Win9x? (I
> seem to recall you use an OS/2 descendent.)
> Patricia

Hi Patricia,

Actually, it might have been Robert who turned me on to the Avant Stellar,
successor to one of the best Northgate models. It is closely based on the
design, and I think uses some of the original molds etc. in its manufacture.
And I gather it can do some things the Northgate could not. The only
downside is that it runs around two bills. (Ouch !). But hey, several
million keypresses -- you should get your money's worth out of it. More so
than your typical monitor, anyway.

Judging from the site I just revisited, URL below, E.R. may have resumed
making one or more of the other Northgate models too. But also not cheap.
In point of fact, I am presently using the spare Northgate 102 I salted away
several years ago. After about 10 years of use, the original one developed
some apparently incurable problems. This current one has been in use for
less than two years, and is barely broken in -- still a somewhat stiffer key
response than what I consider optimal, but it should get there. The Avant I
bought became the new spare. (You see, I plan ahead !)

Someone (here ?) turned me on to a guy named Matthew Cen, who had a bunch of
never used, programmable MaxiSwitch keyboards with the dual F-Key set, which
he was selling for around $100. (which may have included the shipping, but
I'd have to confirm that), and I bought one of those too. (We have just
crossed over from the prudent to the borderline obsessive . . . .) But that
one is presently on indefinite loan to my father, also a XyWriter. It seems
unlikely he would have any left at this point, but I can try to dig up his
info, if you'd like.

Finally, for anyone who wishes to go a much cheaper route, the old Northgates
do turn up occasionally on Ebay, for far less dinero. But you'll have to
roll the dice as to getting one in good condition, whether claimed to be or
otherwise.

To answer your other question, I think any of these should work fine with Win
9x or any later Win. What you will almost certainly _not_ get are the
dedicated Win-keys (the MaxiSwitch is hundreds of miles from here, so I can't
check on that for awhile), and they may well have AT-style rather than
PS2-style connectors, so you will need an adaptor. Even more so if you need
to connect to a USB port. But you probably want a keyboard extender cable
anyway -- I know I always do -- and this is not a big deal. The only problem
I ever found was where the port connectors at the back of a 'puter were
spaced too closely together. In that case, you'd need to hunt around for one
of the more compact adaptors. Or use one in tandem with an extender cable
that mates with it at one end. All these things exist.

Jordan

http://www.ergo-2000.com/ergo2000/showprod.cfm?&DID=6&User_ID=340631&st=8085&st2=-78081345&st3=88847514&CATID=36&ObjectGroup_ID=235