Off Topic: Beyond Win98SE

Jay Harlow wrote:
 Anyone have any good reasons for installing an OS beyond
Win98SE?

 Ever since the introduction of XP last fall, publications such
as PC World, PC Magazine, and Computer Shopper have been
inundated with letters from readers who can't get it to work. In
response, they've been running "workaround" articles that mostly
try to show you how to get XP to behave more like your old
system.
 Here's one example. I think the full text can be found on
CNET.com (where there's also an XP forum featuring messages like
this one: >Help!!! I'm trying to downgrade from Windows XP to
Windows 95. The reason for this switch is XP runs too slow on my
computer and I want 95 back on to get things running smoothly
again........)
 3 Windows XP pitfalls and how to put them behind you

 By Gregg Keizer
 (4/18/02)

 Windows XP was supposed to make life easier, but it's made some
people's computing experience a living hell.

 From software-compatibility woes to unexplained crashes,
nightmares come like a flood of curses when you change operating
systems. But don't just sit there and take it. Fight back using
our techniques and put these demons to rest.

 We polled you, CNET readers, to find out what it was about XP
that really ticked you off, and we found three irritants that
cropped up again and again. This trio of tales shows that
although XP may seem like the tool of the devil, you can learn to
put this OS in its place.

 The return of the revolting reboot
 How can you keep XP from rebooting on its own without warning?
Here's how to tame the reboot beast.

 The mystery of the impossible start-up
 Your machine is locked up tighter than Dick Cheney's location.
What to do? We'll walk you through the start-up swamp.

 The case of the completely incompatible
 You upgraded to XP, and now your software and hardware are
flakier than Anne Heche. Here's how to solve your
incompatibilities without a divorce