Re: XyWrite and voice recognition

-----Original Message-----
From: John Paul Newport
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, January 06, 1999 10:28 AM
Subject: Re: XyWrite and voice recognition

>Sorry to go on so long, but I thought people might want to hear
of a
>good experience with VR.

Very useful post. Your use of VR sounds like mine, but
I also wanted to be able to dictate into the handheld recorder
out of the office, since I dictate some of my weekly stories
anyway.
I was defeated by a combination of problems, I think:

1. Not a top-quality sound card in the computer.
2. background noise. Writing a story while walking the dog
works
fine when I transcribe, but ambient noise defeats the VR
software.
3. Memory. I upgraded my Pentium 233 to 64 MB ram, but even
that's not enough for Dragon, I believe. Transcription of short
segments was very slow; article-length files took forever.
4. My voice. Listening carefully to the recordings I was
transcribing, I could hear that it's sort of fuzzy. Not the
best articulation, and a timber that I imagine confuses the
software.

An interesting experiment, but I didn't have time to fiddle with
this any more.

jb