Carl's USAVE delete routine

Carl,

I've been working on the USAVE, and making good progress.
First, I realized (duh!) that what I wanted was not USAVE at all but AutoFile. So what I did was make a new U2 routine based on AutoFile but with some minor (I hope) changes to adapt it to my particular situation. I left AutoFile and USAVE as is and just added mine as a new U2 routine.
My routine seems to test out okay, so now I'm going on to the delete
routine. Since deleting files can be dangerous, I want to be sure I
understand yours before I use it. And I have some questions, but, I hasten
to add that I can always go back to your simple idea of DOS/nv/x/z del
050324*.*--and I can easily automate the whole process by deriving the
desired filespec from VA$DAyymmdd plus "*.*
But, in case you (inexplicably) feel the desire to instruct me , here are
some questions.

1. A minor item: it seems you are adding a header to the directory--what for?
2. When you use sdir, you have s/g 50 set to VA$DAyy, which refers to the year (e.g., 05). Shouldn't that be something like VA$DAyymmdd to select the files that were done on yymmdd? Obviously, I'm not clear on how your program is set up to work.
3. I'd like it to, in the end, delete only such files that are earlier than
the day before yesterday (i.e., 2 or more days before the current day). I
see you use JND with a minus 1. May I change that to minus 2?
4. Re: BC ernvGT: It looks to me like you set up the delete command ERNV
on the command line then go back to text and only do the XC much later. Is
that right?
5. For my limited XPL knowledge, the code below LBa is quite hairy. I don't
know how much hand-holding you want to do here, but any commenting or
explanation on what goes on there (and what the idea of the whole program
is) would be much appreciated.

Again, I'm quite willing to do the DOS/nv/x/z thing.

Regards,
Harry

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx