Re: Win 7 64 bit

On 11/17/2012 7:11 PM, Harry Binswanger wrote:
I have read over all the posts on Win 7 64 but admit to being confused.
If I buy a 64 bit Win 7 laptop, doesn't it include an "XP compatibility"
module? If so, will I be able to run Xy in that?

If not, I gather that VMware Player is the best way to go. Am I correct
that it comes with a version of XP, so that I don't have install that OS
from a disc?

Help appreciated.

Harry,
The XP compatibility module is part of Windows 7 (64-bit) Professional and highter only. My machine came, about six months ago, with Home Premium, thus no XP, and I fully expected I would take the offer to upgrade to Professional by now. But I decided to try VMWare Player first, using an old XP disk that I already had. It works extremely well for me, with the added advantage that I also have a full install of Linux Ubuntu (12.04) also under under VMWare Player. It's amazing what 8 gigs of ram and a terabyte of disk space makes possible. You don't need VMWare Desktop, just the free player. It works well for me.

Cheers,

Bill TeBrake
UMaine History Emeritus