Re: A Win95 question

Hello there: I have been listening to or following this exchange on the
various versions of XYWRITE with great interest, since I have long been
abandoned by the markets and friends who seem bent on making Bill Gates
rich. But what underlies some of this discussion is the matter of
"obsolescence" in a society framed by accelerating technological
development. It seems at present we are being pushed to believe that
information stored electronically is somehow superior to the printed
text (saves money in storage, easier to use etc.); so also, the computer
magazines imitate the longstanding practices of the photography and
music components industry;
'new' equipment is constantly "reviewed" and it is suggested that you must
have the latest wrinkle or else... So, you must have WINDOWS because the
corporations are going to use it uniformly, and this will provide the
price/unit efficiency that allows amatuers to purchase the same software/
hardware at a lower cost then otherwise. My problem with this is that we
seem to be driven to exchange perfectly good and useble equipment and
software for bug-ridden, expensive, sometimes pointless gimmicks that
amount to software entertainment; at some point, we must join in an
association to sustain useable software and equipment, attract the
available programmers to write printer drivers and other useful
utilities that allow continued use of current equipment; and I think
perhaps it might be good to consider raising the funds to buy XYWRITE
from the TTG if the company has no interest in improving it or taking out
the kinks; their new software is designed for whom? I don't know,
probably a niche market of tax lawyers, investment advisors, estate
business, etc. I propose that Congress mandate that all DOS based
software become part of the public domain unless companies provide some
service for it, or surrender it to a public non-profit corp. that could
continue its useful life. James McSwain
MCSWAIN@xxxxxxxx