Re: Save (backup)

** Reply to message from "J. R. Fox"  on Fri, 12 Dec 2003
21:00:38 -0800

> Michael Norman wrote:

>> Does anyone do this now -- use a CD-RW for to "save" data files as one would
>> with a floppy. And has anyone coordinated the packet writing software with
>> XyDos? In other words, can you put a save routine on a key for the CD-RW?

> Just my opinion, but I think using a RW cd as a "super-floppy" ...
> is massive overkill for most situations.

I agree. Does Michael anticipate problems with his ThinkPad hard disk? So
little faith! A once-a-week backup is plenty, IMO.

> Be warned that -- to the best of my knowledge -- RSJ's handling of
> RW cd's is strictly via Command Line commands, which you'd need to
> brush up on in their manual.

Nothing to brush up on -- it's just standard DOS I/O. Which is precisely what
Michael wants. RSJ gives it to him, as do other utils like DirectCD (part of
Easy CD Creator from Roxio). I used RSJ for years (although I found it kind of
flaky at times, especially under Win32). It assigns a driveletter to your CD,
and you can treat it like a superfloppy or any other drive -- read and write to
it on the fly, delete files, get directory listings, etc -- an absolutely
standard drive, in short. My only experience with Nero is burning DVDs (for
which Nero works very well). But with DirectCD, for example, you could just
assign a keystroke in the KBD file that says e.g. "SAVE Q:\BACKUPS" where
\BACKUPS is a subdir under CD drive Q:. Child's play.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx