Re: ersatz autosave...?

Reply to note from "M.W. Poirier"  Sun, 06
Mar 2005 09:43:14 -0400 (EDT)

> Your modification works. The only thing that I notice is that
> when the save takes place in a footnote, the screen flickers
> (maybe "refreshes itself" would be a better way of describing
> what happens) for a second or so. This does not happen when in
> the body of a text.

I've done my best to minimize the flicker, Maben, but there's no way
to avoid it altogether. Whenever you SAve a file with a footnote
window open, Editor unceremoniously closes the window, switching
focus back to the main file, before the file is written to disk.
This behavior is built in; the best Ersatz can do is work around it.
The workaround is to record the screen appearance of the footnote
window before the SAve and restore the window after the SAve. Even
though Ersatz applies func DX to freeze the display while this
happens, the closing and reopening of the window may be fleetingly
visible. On a slower machine you may see the screen jump or blink;
on my fast machine it's barely noticeable.

The flicker could be further minimized with a small and, I believe,
benign change to frame EF, which you can try if you like. (Delete
the single occurrence of "DO FF ", then issue LOADHELP.)
If we see no side effects over time (and I've seen none in my
initial testing), perhaps Robert, the author of EF, would be willing
to make this change permanent.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx