Re: Xy4 - OS options

On 06/06/2011 11:16 AM, Raphael wrote:
2) So far I haven't devised a way to switch straight to a task from within full-screen XyWrite -- I have to switch to windowed Xy to get to the desktop, and then switch to the application
Rafe, I may have a solution to this, or part of a solution. HOWEVER,
I've encountered one rather major problem in testing this, and that's
that my monitor loses its signal sometimes. The problem becomes severe
enough at times to require rebooting (this is in Mint 10, Ubuntu 10.10),
and may be a result of the machine's having Intel graphics and/or my
Dosemu font choice. Using ctrl+alt+f independently of any of the scripts
below can crash the graphics on my machine (it seems that the move in
and out of fullscreen is causing the crash), so maybe that won't happen
for you, but caveat emptor. As a result the crashes, I can't get these
all to work together on my machine without a crash, though at times they
have worked fine separately. In theory (a nice thing, theory), they
should all work just fine if my graphics card and my Dosemu font choice
could tolerate it.
For the below to work, you need to install wmctrl and xdotool if you
haven't already.
To make XyWrite fullscreen from a minimized state, you run a script I'll
call fullscreen.sh, assigned to the Gnome keyboard shortcut of your choice:

#!/bin/bash
#
wmctrl -a {name-of-your-XyWrite-window-in-titlebar, e.g. Dosemu} && xdotool key ctrl+alt+f
To minimize XyWrite from fullscreen you run minimize.pm, which ends by
running minimize.sh; assign minimize.pm to the XyWrite keyboard shortcut
of your choice. (I think that fullscreen.sh and minimize.pm can, in most
instances, share the same key combo, because Gnome won't respond to keys
entered in a fullscreen Xy4 session, and Xy4 won't react to anything
while minimized).

minimize.pm:

BX es 1Q2 ;*;
BX dos/nv/x/z /c xmode -fullscreen offQ2 ;*;
BX do/nv system /home/pgl/bin/minimize.sh &Q2 ;*;
«EX»

minimize.sh:

#!/bin/bash
#
sleep 1 && xdotool key {gnome-keyboard-shortcut-for-minimize, e.g. ctrl+alt+m}

More caveats:
The sleep command may or may not be necessary. You can test to see if you don't need it by removing "sleep 1 &&" from the script. On the other hand, it might need to be "sleep 2" (1 = 1 sec.)
Not every keyboard shortcut seems to work with xdotool, and I can't tell
you why. I got "xdotool key super+0" to work, but not "xdotool key
Mod4+0" or "xdotool key super+-"

If you put

BX dos/nv/x/z /c xmode -fullscreen onQ2 ;*;
in STARTUP.INT, Xy4 should launch fullscreen by default. xmode is a Dosemu command. It worked once, crashed once.
I've gotten tired of the crashes, and decided to pass this along AS IS
to see if it might work at your end, esp. since you seem to have no
complaints about switching into and out of fullscreen Dosemu. My
apologies if this turns out buggy for you.

Paul Lagasse