do Win95 programs?

Can you start Win95 programs from the command line of XyDOS? I
thought I had done this in the past, but now it won't work.

For example,  "do dviwin mydoc.dvi" works fine with XyWin but
gives me an error message ("The program must be run under
Microsoft Windows") with XyDOS 4.017.

If I open a DOS window from the Win95 desktop dviwin.exe runs
fine.

It also works fine if I open a DOS window, load XyWrite and *then*
try to run dviwin.exe from the command line!

I've checked, and the memory setting for the DOS window and for
XyWrite are the same ("Properties" after right clicking the icon for
DOS or XyWrite on the Win95 desktop).

Any ideas?

Myron