Screen problem?

I had an unnerving experience with my laptop screen (Dell Inspiron 3200)
on Wednesday night and don't know if I should forget about it or do
something to guard against worse to come.

I had just opened a file in XyDos (4.17) and was in the process of
opening a new "window" in order to call a second file, when my screen
filled with small blinking rectangles in tons of colors, and my printer
began printing gibberish. Windows 98 seemed to be unaffected--the start
key worked, the desktop was there--but I couldn't get Xywrite back on
the screen. I used ctrl-alt-del, deleted editor.exe, shut down,
restarted, ran editor.exe and Xywrite came back.

Does anyone know if I accidentally hit some wrong keys and it is safe
to forget this ever happened, or am I on the brink of really serious
trouble?

Thanks for your help

Judith Davidsen