Re: Off topic: Need cheap new laptop, any suggestions?

Vs. Dell: two friends of mine who bought Dells had not hours but days on
the phone with tech help to resolve what turned out to be hardware problems
with their *newly bought* Dell laptops. Steer clear of them.
I have a Thinkpad X61 which I'm pretty happy with. I did have some bad
crashes in the beginning, and it still overheats and crashes. But I've
remedied that with a cooling stand.

I do like the lightweightness and compact size. If you travel more than
twice a year, you'll probably bless a ultralight one if you get one
(Thinkpad or other brand).

For me, screen and kbd are not an issue: at home I use a separate kbd and
dual external monitors. On the road, I'm willing to temporarily use
whatever the laptop has.
(The X61 has no CD drive; otherwise, well equipped.)

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx