Re: Off topic: Need cheap new laptop, any suggestions?

I think they restored firewire on the new lineup.

David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
Box 8103
NCSU
Raleigh, NC 27695-8103

On Jun 17, at 3:47 PM, Bill Troop wrote:

Peter, I agree with all you say, but stick to my recommendation because Dell is 1/3 to 1/2 the price of an Apple laptop for comparable specs and because there's a budget requirement. But if you can afford it, you'll always be happier with an Apple. (Unless, of course, you want to use your hundreds of Firewire 400 peripherals. Apple can be very cheap when it is so minded!) Anyone buying a Dell should look seriously around for discount codes - - there are always some superb deals out there . . . and all of that said, case quality on my last year's Inspiron 1720 is the worst yet for Dell . . . and audio out is easy to break - - and requires a motherboard replacement. I'll report back on how hard it is to get this fixed, given the small case crack. (I had a Mac laptop whose motherboard had been damaged by the genius bar when the hard drive was replaced. Though the warranty had long since elapsed, Apple graciously made a 'warranty exception' and supplied a new motherboard free. I can't think of another computer company that would do that.)