Re: speeling woze

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Sun, 25 Oct 1998 21:33:42 EST

> Robert H notes that the words in the personal spell file are alphabatized when
> used as spelling alternatives during spell checking. Is it perhaps because
> those words are alphabetized in the personal spell file itself? What if the
> words were in some other order?

I tried that. Jeez! I ain't _that_ dumb. I jumbled them all up.
They're still alphabetized when offered as alternatives. And yes, the personal
words offered are crudely based on the first two letters of the word. The main
dictionary has a smarter algorithm and offers broader, even
homophonic alternatives, e.g. "adder" "rudder" and "madder" for
misspell "radder"
-- but there too, those first two letters carry 99% of the weight.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx