Re: Off topic: Educational Methods

  Have you thought of assigning role-playing to liven things up?
  Hand the class a piece of copy whose grammer and style could both be
improved, pick one of them play the reporter who wrote it, another the copy
editor who decides on changes, and perhaps a third the assigning editor to
whom the infuriated reporter appeals the changes. Let them go at it hammer
and tongs, and then ask the rest of the class to comment on the performance.
  I wish Carl were right that experienced copy editors don't need this kind
of course. But one can spot grammatical errors in the New York Times quite
often; and based on my experience as a reporter, at least some of those
errors were inserted by the copy desk.
Lynn Brenner
718 855 2179