Re: footnote ignorance

Reply to note from Morris Krok  Wed, 19 Sep
2001 16:54:36 -0700

Morris Krok asks:

Jordan Fox writes:
> the stock assignment for Superscript is CTRL-7, and for
> Subscript CTRL-8. I see that there is no _separate_ table
> showing these Modes in .U2, but they are all covered there in
> FUNCS. According to that, M7 is supposed to be another
> designation for Superscript. However, if I place a ≪MDm7≫
> into text, nothing shows up on screen, except in Expanded View.

Whoa, we're mixing apples, oranges and avocados here. Let's back
up. The issue -- insofar as I can glean from Morris's references to
"superscript" -- is how footnote *numbers* look on screen (in
graphics view) and in print. By default, footnote numbers in the
main text are in superscript and (corresponding) footnote numbers in
the footnote area (either at the bottom of the page or, for
endnotes, at the end of the document) are in NorMal mode. To
superscript the footnote numbers at the bottom of the page, you need
to add an SC mode setting to the FM (footnote format) delta embedded
at the top of the document. For example,
.

Func M7 has nothing to do with footnotes per se. And it's not a
synonym for the embedded superscript command . Rather, Func
M7 is an "immediate" command (issued from the command line as
FUNC M7 or assigned to a key as nn=M7) which sets superscript as the
mode for text to be entered thereafter or, if text is DeFined,
superscripts the DeFined block. It's one of 10 mode-setting
functions (M0 - M9), which are described as follows:

M0: Type in mode at cursor, or make selected text match mode at
cursor.
M1: Type text in normal mode, or make selected text normal.
M2: Type text in bold, or make selected text bold.
M3: Type text in underline, or make selected text underlined.
M4: Type text in reverse mode, or make selected text reverse.
M5: Type text in bold underline, or make selected text bold
underlined.
M6: Type text in bold reverse mode, or make selected text bold
reverse.
M7: Type text in superscript, or make selected text superscript.
M8: Type text in subscript, or make selected text subscript.
M9: Type text in italic or make selecte text italic.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx