Re: Using Xy to dial your phone

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Sun, 26 Mar 2006
00:31:34 -0500

> Under Win9x, I could use Xy to shell out to run
> the little DOS program ADT.COM to dial my phone.
> ADT doesn't seem to work with the simulated DOS
> of XP.

Hah! I wrote ADT.COM, about 20 years ago! No, it's not going to work with NT.
Has nothing to do with "simulated" DOS -- has to do with an operating system
that won't let you manipulate the hardware (the ports) *directly*, as ADT did
-- you need to do it via OpSys functions.

I wouldn't mind having a dialer that works under NT. There's a lot to be said
for the precision of dialing from a digital phonebook -- no clumsy mistakes...
Probably relatively easy to write such a program, too. How exactly would you
be dialing -- with a modem attached to a serial port? Where would the source
phone-numbers-to-dial come from -- lifted out of a XyWrite document?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx