Re: FW: XY FOR WINDOWS

Reply to note from "M.C."  Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:34:42
+0200

> I have already answered to Mr. Sanza in Spanish.

Thanks, Manuel, you're a mensch (as I'm sure the Spanish would say).

> By the way: I can confirm that a Spanish version of XyWrite III
> was used here at least in some newspapers.

Hmm, I'd forgotten there was a Spanish version of XyIII -- if I ever
knew. I'd love to get hold of a copy, for the Xy museum.

XyQuest and IBM clearly wanted to produce foreign-language versions
of Signature/Xy4. The infrastructure is there -- in particular, VN,
a variant of the VA command. The intended use was in the
syntax, where nn represents the numerical error code (VA$ER);
 returns the text of the associated error message. So, for
example, whereas  returns "There is no command on command
line" (in English),  would have returned a translation of the
same error message in the "native" language in question. (Or maybe
it was vice versa.) But, of course, VN was never implemented in any
other language.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx