Re: Large screens

Robert sent me some helpful tips, for which thanks, but I made some
discoveries by trial and error that may also be useful. I checked what my
setup was on the laptop, where I had been running XyWrite at 600 X 800
with no problems. Then, after some fiddling on the desktop machine, I
found this: If one first sets the properties of the XyW shortcut to full
screen, and the font to auto, then loads XyWrite and switches to windowed
mode (with ALT-Enter), I at least got a nice large windowed mode screen
that filled most of the physical screen (there was a small bit of the
desktop and the taskbar showing at the bottom, but that's what I wanted);
it was just about wide enough (had to be shifted a tad to get it
centered, but the window was movable, if not resizable). On shutting down
XyW, I found that the desktop shortcut's properties now said Windowed
mode, and on clicking on that I got XyWrite back in basically the
same-sized window as before. The font was quite tolerable too. And on
going to full-screen and then Graphic mode, I got a decent-sized graphic
screen (before, it was tiny). So if one just remembers to switch to
full-screen before going to graphic mode, this seems to work. XyWrite can
fix its own Windowed mode; Windows cannot create one for it from outside.
No surprises there. But a week wasted figuring it out.
Patricia