Re: Off-list: English as She is Spoke

Quite a while ago, before world War II in fact, I was a high school
student, wandering around Times Square with a classmate on a Saturday
night. In one of the stores that sells (or then sold) plastic wrapped
packets of dirty pictures and plastic intaglio faces of Jesus the eyes of
which seemed to follow you around the room, I bought a Japanese abacus.

The Japanese word for the skill of operating an abacus is "soruban."
I never really learned to use the abacus, but it came with a user's manual, the final sentence of which has lived with me, and delighted me, ever since. The enthusiastic closing sentence of the owner's manual read:

"Learn soruban, and make happy on your life!" Voila!

I say to all my colleagues: Learn soruban and make happy on your lives!

--Bob Kubie