Re: Installing Xy DOS from orig. disks

I have managed to do a comparison of the files from my new clean
install with those on Bry Henderson's site. I have not yet completed
comparing the Vetusware distro, which has a lot of additional files
thrown in.

1. Certain files are created when an installation from the original
floppies is done. They will therefore have different dates in each
installation, and also different sizes, depending on the choices made
at installation. The following are the files involved:

SETTINGS.DFL
SETTINGS.XY4
STARTUP.INT
XY4-3.KBD

2. Even if no printer is selected at installation, an install from
floppies apparently includes the following basic printer files in
EDITOR.EXE's directory:
ASCII.PRN	4379	2-16-1993	7:14am
GENERIC.PRN	2370	2-16-1993	7:15am
MAIL.PRN	4321	6-22-1993	11:35am
STANDARD .PRN	2366	2-16-1993	7:21am
STRIP.PRN	4324	6-22-1993	11:35am
README.PRN	12092	2-18-1993	9:41am
The last is not really a .PRn file, but a document, rather like an
appnote, detailing various facts about printer files, including the
use of Signature printer files, with Xy4. (IIRC, Bry has all his printer files in a separate listing, no? much more logical.)

3. A couple of files exist in both the "from disk" installation and
Bry's site, but have different sizes or dates:
FUNC.HLP	2728	2-02-1993	11:25am on the From Disk install
FUNC.HLP	2929	2-02-1993	11:25am on BH's
(Really weird! Same date and time, different sizes?)

XY4.MNU	24179	11-09-1994	4:47pm on the From Disk install
XY4.MNU	46165	7-21-1994	12:06pm On BH's
If anyone knows anything about this descrepancy, I would love to hear about it, and I bet Bry would too.

4. The following are on the From Disk install, not on BH's:
SAVEGET.SGT	9270	11-12-1993	9:28am
XY4.PIF		545	1-07-1993	4:53pm
As the saveget set just eats up RAM, and the pif needs to be tweaked to each person's preferences and opsys, I doubt anyone would want them...
5. The following are on BH's, not on the From Disk install:
ADDFONT.BAT	3044	1-08-1993	3:22pm
ADDFONT.PGM	890	1-08-1993	3:21pm
BITFONT.MSG	2705	7-24-1991	4:11pm
LJ3.BIN		352282	3-17-1992	8:48am
LOADTYPE.EXE	24727	7-25-1991	11:47am
TFMADD.EXE	57413	2-19-1993	10:55am
As I have all of these in my working setup, they were probably
distributed by XyQuest or TTG at some point in the history of the program.

6. The following are on both distros, with the same size and date:
BUSINESS.SPL	6069	1-08-1993	4:05pm
CAD.TPF		10560	7-11-1990	9:49pm
CHARSET		24706	2-10-1993	11:26am
COLOR.DSP	5438	2-24-1993	3:26pm
CVT.RES		12747	4-11-1991	2:39pm
DEFAULT.TPF	18240	7-21-1989	9:25pm
DICT.HYP	15093	2-22-1988	9:21am
DICT.SPL	110464	2-04-1987	8:55am
ERROR.MSG	2565	7-24-1991	3:33pm
G-SCALE.DSP	5123	2-24-1993	3:27pm
GAS.DSP		5178	2-24-1993	3:27pm
GRA-REV.DSP	5105	2-24-1993	4:35pm
IBM2TIF.EXE	713550	6-13-1991	2:57pm
IBM2TIF.SET	189	7-31-1991	9:34am
LCD.DSP		5628	2-24-1993	4:27pm
LEGAL.SPL	6663	1-08-1993	4:06pm
LOG.LOG		4	5-11-1990	8:54am
MONO.DSP	5098	2-24-1993	4:30pm
PERS.SPL	3862	1-08-1993	4:05pm
PLOTTER.TPF	10560	4-21-1990	12:55pm
README.FLT	4137	2-18-1993	9:45am
README.PUB	12434	3-05-1993	12:43pm
SAMPLE.SET	12977	2-19-1993	1:39pm
WFBG.SYN	325952	3-04-1987	5:22pm
WORD.OVR	22784	5-20-1987	11:13am
XONXOFF.COM	3426	12-22-1988	10:50am
XY4.DLG		756722	10-10-1994	2:37pm
XY4.HLP		2341631	6-21-1994	3:57pm
XY4.KBD		14276	2-19-1993	4:19pm
I see that I have omitted EDITOR.EXE, since most of us are, I trust, using the Y2K patched version.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx