Re: CONFIG.NT

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Sun, 16 Jul 2006
00:59:44 -0400

> So, is the bottom line: if you have EMS (and is that expanded or
> extended--I can never recall), don't use the /e4192 in the shortcut?

Expanded. Why not experiment and see whether omitting the /E switch still
loads EMS? (But you say you don't have any available, so why do you care?)

> I see that I have XMS galore, but 0 "available extended memory."

> So, do you recommend that I modify CONFIG.NT to have it call EMM?

Not usually necessary. You establish the amount of EMS in XyWrite's PIF
(Shortcut Properties). You could experiment with EMM = RAM, to force the 64k
EMS page frame segment into UMB. That 64k *must* be contiguous! If you
haven't got 64k of contiguous *free* mem in conventional or high memory, then
EMS will not be available. And that is the usual reason why EMS doesn't work.
Typically, the USB adapter steals the memory block that EMS formerly had to
itself. Now, if you don't need to *boot* from a USB device, and if your BIOS
can be set to remove the possibility of *booting* from a USB device (as
distinct from simply using a USB device, which is not an issue), then EMS will
probably become available. Since we have a number of ThinkPad/IBM machine
users, they should know that this strategy will probably work for them. For
others, YMMV.

> Also, any
> recommendations re activating or not: DOSONLY and NTCMDPROMPT?

Leave them alone.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx