XyDos and laptops

It seems that I may not be alone in being unable to run XyWrite 4.018 on
a new laptop. I have an IBM Thinkpad "i" series running Windows 2000.

XyWrite will load and run well enough, but crashes to the ground
(reboot) under two conditions:

1) attempting to go into graphics mode; and
2) minimizing XyWrite and then attempting to restore the program either
  either by Alt-Tab or by clicking on the taskbar icon.

In both cases the screen goes blank, backlighting goes off and although
the computer continues to accept keyboard input (beeping occasionally),
I can't find my way back to "visual contact" with the operating system.

The same thing happens if I use Windows 98 on the computer.

If anyone has a similar problem, could you tell me anything about your
graphics "card" and/or driver? Mine is identified as Silicon Motion
LynxEM+. Windows reports its location as "PCI bus 0, device 2, function
0". As nearly as I can tell, the memory and input/output ranges cannot
be changed.

Myron