memory and pers.spl

I recently bought Xy 4 which I am running as a DOS app under OS/2
Warp 3, latest fixpak. I was told by a highly placed person on this
list that upgrading to 4 would take care of the memory limitations
inherent in Xy3.54, which I am using.

Those first manifested themselves when DIR would not load a list of
my files when my directories got too big. Not fatal. I just weed my
directories.

 But now Xy 3 will not load my pers.spl dictionary, which has a
length of 50478.

So I installed Xy 4, and copied my pers.spl to it--and it can not
load it, either.

What is the best solution? Should I chop my pers.spl up into
multiple dictionaries of what size, and ask startup.int to load them
all--letting Xy manage the memory and swap them in and out?

Jonathan
Jonathan D. Beard
Science Writer-Photo Researcher
938 N. Alameda, Las Cruces, NM 88005-2125 USA
jbeard@xxxxxxxx voice 505-647-0850