Re: This time a real clip bug: it crashes...

** Reply to message from Bob Zimmerman  on Sat, 04 Mar 2006
12:09:44 -0500

Bob:

XyWrite's Save/Get memory load and EMS are not going to have any bearing on
Clip. CLIP.EXE is a Win32 executable, separate from XyWrite. No tweaks to
XyWrite are going to make any difference.

I suspect that your Win98 installation simply has bad Unicode support. I
suspect that you are stuck with this problem, and it can't be fixed. I don't
know why it works fine on my machines, but not on your machine -- however, that
appears to be the case. (Gosh, I just fired up a different Win98SE machine,
and did multiple copy/paste operations, using a 30Kb document that has the
entire character set, chars 0-255. Pasted to and then copied back from
Notepad. No crashes. I don't understand this.) What's the date of
KERNEL32.DLL (in \WINDOWS\SYSTEM)?

I made a decision about six months ago to stop jumping through hoops to try to
make everything compatible in 9x, and I'm sticking to that.

> In fact, I tried a selection that was 18,539 bytes
> long, and the OLDCLIP worked with no problem.

New Clip OR old Clip, you ought to be able to clip half a million bytes without
breaking a sweat.

> Though I can use this version without crashing,
> it means that everytime I want
> to update U2 I have the extra chore of
> manually switching from the standard
> CLIP to this older version.

You mean, the "extra chore" of installing this one extra frame? That's
trivial, and takes 30 seconds -- a LOT less time than reading any one of these
emails. If it was me, though, I'd be sad about losing the codepage
translation, because in terms of the Windows <==> DOS programs that I copy and
paste between, and the content also, codepage discrepancy is a pretty big deal.
It's more than accented "foreign" characters, it includes everyday items like
"smart" double- and single-quotes. If you'd like to see a cogent description
of Unicode handling in Windows, and one more of the (many) small reasons why 9x
is junk, read this:
 http://www.jorendorff.com/articles/unicode/windows.html

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx