I think it's safer to use the actual window number rather than the AS
function, since that changes if there are more than two files open and you
move around among them.
You can put into your program, probably at the top, a command to go to or
CAll the shorthand file, have it record the window number it uses, then
call that window by its number when you need to.
BX gofile filenameQ2 ;*; if the file named 'filename' is already open, go
to its window
>BX ca filenameQ2 ;*; if it's not open, open it in a new window
>;*: store the window number that it's in
Suppose the shorthand file is in window 3. Then to switch to it, use the function:
which you get into your XPL by entering, on the command line, PFUN #3
This presupposes that your settings.dfl file has set the default value of NW to something other than 0. I use NW=3.
Oh, and you'll have to get the number of your text-file window so you can
call it up by its number.
(I hope that my sample commands were short enough that Carl will forgive me
for not using the ENCODEr.)

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx