Re: Is Xy 4 now freeware?/my advice abandonware

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Sat, 30 May
2015 11:01:59 -0400

Harry,

> I think Carl is asking, through this thought experiment, how
> much XyWrite is worth to you.

Bingo.

> In my case, I'd say $10,000 or more. It would be hard for me to
> run my business without XyWrite.

Interesting. For this group, I was going to give the option of
expressing the answer either in absolute dollars or as a percentage
of your net worth. Or maybe in a nonlethal number of pints of blood.

How much would I pay, you ask? My situation is different from yours
in that XyWrite is not at all necessary to my livelihood. It doesn't
earn me a single additional dollar, nor would I lose anything
tangible if it disappeared. It increases my "productivity" (I think),
certainly makes working more enjoyable, and has provided endless
hours of pleasurable tinkering. In short, it's in many respects a
hobby, like woodworking without the wood, or the work.

Thinking of how much I've spent over the years on various hobbies
(e.g., photography), I'd have to say I'd plop down considerably more
than Kari's $100 to hang on to Xy -- probably something in low four
figures, but not, I don't think, your five. Although ... I just
calculated that a 5-year loan of $10,000 at the usurious rate of 25%
per annum would require a monthly payment just under $300. I pay
almost that much for some utilities, and after the five years XyWrite
would be mine again, so....

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx