Re: OT: DOS booting

Patricia wrote
I'm a bit unclear as to what Harry is trying to do here. At first I thought he was looking for a dual boot alternative to running Xy under XP; now it sounds more like an insurance policy to get at the system when (not if) Windows corrupts itself.

Yes, that's the current goal.
But I don't think either is doable with one huge partition. You're going to have to do what Robert and I have been recommending till we're blue in the face: get Partition Commander or Partition Magic and break up that hard drive; have a FAT32 data partition; and preferably another FAT32 for Xy. (It runs fine on FAT32; no need to drop back to FAT16.)

Okay, but I need FAT16 for another DOS program I have (CB86).
While you're at it, make another partition and move your swap file (pagefile.sys, IIRC, in NT) to it; speeds things up (esp. if this is a laptop, which nearly always has too little RAM).
But don't a lot of installs have to put stuff on C:? I install stuff
weekly. I'm a new-program-junkie. Wouldn't want to give that up.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx