Re: another elementary question

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Fri, 27 Nov 1998 11:49:24 -0500

> More generally, you can always disable those requests for confirmation by inserting es
> 1 (where <..> = a function) and then es 0 afterwards. ("ES" = "error signal" or
> the like, and 1=off, 0=on.) My XPL routines are littered with those strings -- in fact, I tend
> to insert "es 1" near the start of a program and "es 0" near the end.

ES 1 isn't going to suppress a request for overwrite confirmation; ES 1 is simply going to
suppress the beep that alerts you to the need to confirm. And actually, in the case of SAD
where the filename already exists, it doesn't even do that. ES 1 can be used too much. Many
people ask me about problems that XyWrite would have told them about if they didn't use ES 1
(especially in something like STARTUP.INT, where you really need to know if files aren't loading
properly, etc). ES 1 should ONLY be used when you EXPECT or WANT a command to fail, and don't
wish that failure to be perceived as an "error" -- such as a SEarch command which will,
inevitably, run out of found strings. It has no connection with confirmation or
"/No_Verify".

---------
Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx