Re: Off topic Latin

At 23/06/2002 -0400, you wrote:
One hundred years ago

The classics in preliminary examinations

Sir - Your article in the British Medical Journal of February 15th, and Sir
William Gairdner's letter of the same date, defend Latin learning as a
necessity for the proper use of English. It is on that ground that both you
and he require its retention.
The debate on the need for Latin continues unabated, at least in the
Williams household. I was good at Latin - won a Latin Cup at school - and
considered the whole exercise an utter waste of time. My view has been
strengthened by my recent dealings with an Italian firm. My Latin is
utterly useless and we have to converse in French, which no doubt would
please the Academie Francaise who still like to think that French is more
important than that dreadful Anglo Saxon monstrosity English. Same with
Greek, really. I can rememeber the ancient Greek for "to set free" which
would be fine if covering a hi-jack in ancient Greece. At least in modern
Greek I can order four ouzos, one without ice please. Which is useful.

And anyway, to keep it on topic, where is there a Latin spell checker?