Re Vagaries of Graphic View

I'm changing the subject on this, because I consider it
not a problem so much as an interesting puzzle. Booted
up the ancient Compaq laptop last night (120 MHz P1,
24--that's NOT 124 but 24--Mb RAM, 1 Mb of VGA RAM; Win
95). Tried the same thing: switched from draft to
Graphics mode ("full screen" was less than the full
10-inch diagonal screen, being bordered with black),
BUT alt-enter yielded working Xy graphics mode in a
window. So maybe there's some failsafe built into these
underpowered systems to let them do DOS-style graphics?
The other thing was that when I tried it on the XP box
at the office, it didn't work, BUT XP did not let it
freeze: when I hit Alt-Enter, the full-screen graphics
session of Xy shrank down to an icon on the taskbar.
Right-clicking on that gave me a choice of Close,
Restore, or Run maximized. Restore yielded full-screen
again. So the opsys did what it should: prevented an
app from "performing an illegal operation." But as MWP
reported a freeze there under XP, perhaps that, too, is
a function of the VGA circuitry-driver combo?

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx