Re: A question

Reply to note from jeibisch@xxxxxxxx (James Eibisch)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 23:15:39 GMT

-> The VA $FI command (VAlue FIlename) inserts the filename into
-> the document. If all the files are in one directory, I would
-> use this quick and dirty XPL routine:
->
-> ≪LB loop≫BC call
-> ≪IF≪ER≫≫≪EX≫
-> ≪EI≫BC va $fi
->
-> BC save
-> BC abort
-> CD ≪GL loop≫

With respect, I wouldn't counsel simply embedding  in each
file (which is what "BC va $fiXC " does). This is a "soft" filename
command triangle that *displays* the filename *in XyWrite only* (and
then only in non-eXPanded views). Jim B. is talking about importing
his Xy files into an AskSam database, and there's no guarantee that
the conversion program will know how to interpret this XyWrite
"delta" -- on the contrary, it's virtually certain *not* to know
that it requires interpretation at all. My bet is that it would be
treated as inert text, meaning that each of Jim's 6000 files will
show the identical (and, in AskSam, meaningless) header "".

This is why, in my post of yesterday afternoon, I advised creating a
hard-coded filename with .

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/