RE: xy windows [again]

Annie:

Thanks for the suggestion.

RE:
	....If you're willing to devote two keystrokes
	instead of one to getting to another
	window, that's eight more keys than you need
	to dedicate to the purpose.

The main reason for my setup using the cursor pad numbers 1-9, 3X3
arrangement is to establish a visual means of identifying and locating each
window.

Folks, even some really bright ones, often find the visual construct
helpful.

The Number Pad setup lets them get the idea and use it easier.

Is there a similar mnemonic for the key arrangement you told me about?

My keyboard has a number of such features. Like I use the beginning and end
of the function key rows across the top for the important keys and the inner
keys for those that are less so. Thus:
F1 = Call files in directory and go to screen
F2 = Go to Command line (used very seldom in my keyboard)
F3 = puts you in root directory of a drive e.g. when in C: it goes to
    C: \ so you can enter a directory
F4 = Toggles from Command line to Screen

F5 = Print, Ctrl-F5 = Print page selections
F6 = Puts Search // on the command line, with the cursor between the //
F7 = Help (Not used very much by the folks I taught. I also gave my
    clients a six or seven page manual customized to their work that
    had just about every key operation they would be using.)
F8 = Save (You are behind the 8-Ball if you don't bang on F8 every
     time you write something you do not want to lose.)

F9 = Gives different Date and time functions with different shift keys
F10 = Screen views. F10 = pages and line numbers, Shift-F10 = Graphic
     Ctrl-F10 = Expanded view, Alt=F10 = Draft view
F11 = Windows management screen
F12 = Toggle between last two windows

It ain't out-of-the-box XyWrite, but at one time there were about 600 folks
using it.

With my keyboard, one could do the XyWrite tutorial with something like
1/3 less keystrokes. A user could also be set up to work with the same keys
as they switched back and forth between desktops and laptops.

My main objective was to keep the hands on the keyboard as much as possible,
have everything easy to find by any mnemonic or placement trick I could
think of, and reduce keystrokes to a minimum.

TR...