Re: XyWin on XP

--- "Patricia M. Godfrey"  wrote:

> I have been using
> Astra, which is similar,
> but crippleware (cannot print the report unless one
> registers and the
> registration/licensing system is crazy: they expect
> you to pay for each
> PC you use it on--as if one were going to rerun it
> on a given PC more
> than once), and the fees add up pretty quickly to
> astronomical.

That's just nuts, when there's various freeware
alternatives about. I used to use AMIDIAG, a much
more extensive diagnostic suite. That made some sense
when it was about 50 bucks, but then they went and
quintupled the price or some such. (Their releases
were keyed to different CPUs as they came out -- not
to mention different generations of video hardware
etc. -- so you couldn't just continue to use the old
version.) At that point, I dropped them like a hot
rock. Maybe the cost would be justified for a bench
tech, like those POST kits for troubleshooting or
reviving dead hardware, but not for me.

Jordan