Re: accents

At 4/7/2002 06:11 PM -0400, Carl Distefano wrote:
One way would be to insert a  command
between the character-to-be-accented and the macron. Here,
printer_control_string would be the instruction, specific to your
printer, to execute a backspace (no delete) before printing the next
character (the macron). If you're lucky, the printer's
documentation (printed or Web-based) will say what that instruction
is. If not, maybe the right person in Customer Support can help.
Thanks to all for your suggestions on accents. I'll have to investigate the
above, which is interesting, kind of a deliberate overstrike, which made me
wonder about whether the mechanics of redlining could be applied here
somehow. MD DN, for example, creates a strike through of the character,
imposing a hypen/minus sign on that character, any character. I wondered
whether there was a way to create a mode that would do the same thing with
an accent, like the macron. DN is defined in the printer file, but I can't
quite figure out how to take those attributes and create a new mode
definition that would include whatever accent anyone wanted. Perhaps DN
does not use the hypen in the character set.

Michael Norman